VGP-BPS13-S
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VGP-BPS13-S

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

IBM' s Watson' s ability to converse is a vast advance for AI analysis.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

IBM' s Watson' s ability to converse is a vast advance for AI analysis. Empty
PostSubject: IBM' s Watson' s ability to converse is a vast advance for AI analysis.   IBM' s Watson' s ability to converse is a vast advance for AI analysis. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 4:37 pm

<! --INFOLINKS_ON-->
IBM's Jeopardy playing supercomputer may be touted by some observers to be one of the greatest computing advancements in the last several decades.
The supercomputer, dubbed Watson, owes that significance to its ability to deliver more than information and documents. It may answer verbal questions posed by humans.
That capability, says IBM researchers as well as industry analysts, makes this machine extra equipped than any before it to organize "thoughts" and verbally converse with people.
"I would say it's the largest computing advance of the century, " said Richard Doherty, research director from Envisioneering Group. "I've been in computing since 1973 and followed technology before who, and this is the largest advancement in decades. This is not an iPad. To reach [a computer] conversationally and also have it respond with knowledgeable answers is really a sea change in calculating. "
Watson's first appearance about the long-running Jeopardy game show aired the very first episode of its man-vs-machine competition last night. Watson faced two Jeopardy champions - Brat Rutter plus Ken Jennings.
Half from the first game aired Mon night, and Watson and Rutter tied for that top spot with $5, 000. Jennings finished your day in third place by using $2, 000.
For IBM, the Jeopardy appearance by Watson represents the following stage in the long effort to build up a computer that might mimic human intelligence. Watson is really a study in advancements around artificial intelligence and healthy language processing that triumph over the formidable challenge of conveying exactly the same information in many different ways.
<! --INFOLINKS_OFF-->

<! --
AB_pos = "intext";
AB_lang = "en";
AB_cat_channel = "0016438529, ";
AB_path = "http: //d21j60o022fwiu. cloudfront. net/";
record. write(unescape("%3Cscript src='http: //d21j60o022fwiu. cloudfront. net/gads/controller3. js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));
//-->

google_ad_channel = "7940249670, " + AB_cat_channel + AB_unit_channel;
google_language = "en";
google_ad_region = 'test';

<! --INFOLINKS_ON-->
IBM scientists spent four years building a computer system that might rival a human inside answering questions posed throughout natural language. Watson is dependant on IBM's Power 7 server equipment.
"I think Watson has got the potential to transform the way in which people interact with pcs, " said Jennifer Chu-Carroll, an IBM researcher focusing on the project. "Watson is really a significant step, allowing people to interact with a computer as they would a human remaining. Watson doesn't give you a summary of documents to go through but provides the user an answer. "
IBM made this happen by going back to square one and analyzing the nature of questions and the answers, said Charles King, a good analyst at Pund-IT.
"Computers are usually very good at linear as well as logical processes, " described King. "With Watson, researchers basically discovered that the entire question-and-answer procedure is riddled with ambiguity. Watson is made to take a single query, run different algorithms concurrently, produce multiple answers and then rank the likelihood of correctness, and do it all in a few seconds. "
According to Doherty, another significant aspect of Watson's technology is which IBM's scientists gave the equipment "confidence. "
"I'd never before heard the word confidence put on a machine, " stated Doherty. "That's something all of us need in our every day lives. We've never heard about this being applied towards artificial intelligence before. In jeopardy, if you're not positive enough, you don't buzz in. I can afford to buzz in (if this confidence level is) higher than 81%. I can't afford to buzz in should I'm only 79% confident. "
King said the research advances in Watson will be making computer scientists re-evaluate artificial intelligence and what can be done with it.
"I would think that around the globe, computer scientists are taking a look at this and thinking of what the next generation of AI might be, " he added. "We will be getting closer and closer to the measure of AI success that was imagined in the to start with Star Trek series -- a computer that may be queried without using a keyboard device, that would come back with the right answer in a few seconds. "
So what's following for artificial intelligence?
Chu-Carroll said computers might be learning to use actual common sense over the next five to ten years.
"I would like to see computers be more qualified to understand the world more effective, " she added. "We're attempting to code rules of good sense knowledge. Rain is moist. Dogs are animals. We'd like to address this inside a more scalable way. Maybe computers could learn a number of this from reading books and rely on them to augment their awareness. "
Doherty expects the renewed, invigorating race amongst artificial intelligence researchers.
"It's likely to turn up the wick upon research at Intel, from HP, at Oracle, " said Doherty. "[Watson] is ideal for the market and to get society. Watson will accelerate a brand new race. Five years through now, we'll see [an AI] revolution and a number of new solutions. " <! --INFOLINKS_OFF-->.
Back to top Go down
https://vgp-bps13-s.forumotion.com

IBM' s Watson' s ability to converse is a vast advance for AI analysis.
Page 1 of 1