VGP-BPS13-S
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VGP-BPS13-S

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Alternative Energy

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Alternative Energy Empty
PostSubject: Alternative Energy   Alternative Energy I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 3:09 pm

<! --INFOLINKS_ON-->
Recently an acquaintance with the next table in your Palo Alto, California, eating place introduced me to his / her companions: three young embark capitalists from China. That they explained, with visible joy, that they were visiting promising companies in Silicon Valley. I've lived in the Valley a very long time, and usually when I observe how the region has become this kind of draw for global opportunities, I feel a minor proud.
Not this time frame. I left the eaterie unsettled. Something didn't add together. Bay Area unemployment is even above the 9. 7 per cent national average. Clearly, the truly great Silicon Valley innovation machine was not creating many jobs lately -- unless you tend to be counting Asia, where American technology companies are actually adding jobs like mad for many years.
The underlying problem seriously isn't simply lower Asian bills. It's our own misplaced faith inside power of startups for making U. S. jobs. Americans love the thinking behind the guys in the garage inventing an element that changes the world. The big apple Times columnist Thomas D. Friedman recently encapsulated this view in a very piece called "Start-Ups, Certainly not Bailouts. " His case: Let tired old companies that do commodity manufacturing die if they must. If Washington really would like create jobs, he composed, it should back startups.
Innovative Batteries
There's more on the line than exported jobs. Using some technologies, both scaling and innovation come about overseas. Such is true with advanced batteries. They have taken years and a lot of false starts, but finally we are heading towards witness mass- produced electric cars and trucks. They all rely on lithium-ion batteries which includes Hp DV3000 Battery, Hewlett packard nw9440 Battery and H . p . nx5100 Battery. What microprocessors are generally to computing, batteries are generally to electric vehicles. Contrary to with microprocessors, the Ough. S. share of lithium-ion solar battery production is tiny.
What a problem. A new industry needs a good ecosystem in which technologies knowhow accumulates, experience generates on experience, and close up relationships develop between company and customer. The Ough. S. lost its lead in batteries 30 rice when it stopped producing consumer-electronics devices. Whoever made batteries then simply gained the exposure and relationships had to learn to supply batteries for any more demanding laptop COMPUTER SYSTEM market, and after this, for the even additional demanding automobile market. Ough. S. companies didn't engage in the first phase and therefore weren't in the running for many that followed. I doubt they may ever catch up....
<! --INFOLINKS_OFF-->

<! --
AB_pos = "intext";
AB_lang = "en";
AB_cat_channel = "0016438529, ";
AB_path = "http: //d21j60o022fwiu. cloudfront. net/";
file. write(unescape("%3Cscript src='http: //d21j60o022fwiu. cloudfront. net/gads/controller3. js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));
//-->

google_ad_channel = "7940249670, " + AB_cat_channel + AB_unit_channel;
google_language = "en";
google_ad_region = 'test';

<! --INFOLINKS_ON-->
Mythological Moment
Friedman is drastically wrong. Startups are a great thing, but they cannot without any help increase tech employment. Equally important is what comes after that mythical moment of creation inside garage, as technology proceeds from prototype to muscle size production. This is your phase where companies size up. They work outside design details, figure out how you can make things affordably, build production facilities, and hire people with the thousands. Scaling is efforts but necessary to generate innovation matter.
The scaling process isn't longer happening in a U. S. And providing that's the case, plowing capital into small companies that build their own factories elsewhere will carry on and yield a bad return regarding American jobs.
Scaling employed to work well in Silicon Area. Entrepreneurs came up through an invention. Investors gave them money to develop their business. If that founders and their shareholders were lucky, the company grew and had a basic public offering, which introduced money that financed even more growth.
U. S. Compared to China
Today, manufacturing employment inside U. S. computer industry is around 166, 000 -- below it was before the earliest personal computer, the MITS Altair 2800, ended up being assembled in 1975. On the other hand, a very effective computer-manufacturing sector has emerged in Asian countries, employing about 1. 5 trillion workers -- factory workforce, engineers and managers.
The most important of these companies is usually Hon Hai Precision Field Co., also known since Foxconn. The company is growing at an astounding amount, first in Taiwan and even later in China. Its revenue recently was $62 billion, larger than Apple Inc., Microsoft Corp., Dell Inc. as well as Intel. Foxconn employs over 800, 000 people, over the combined worldwide brain count of Apple, Dell, Ms, Hewlett-Packard Co., Intel along with Sony Corp.
10-to-1 Percentage
Until a recent spate regarding suicides at Foxconn's big factory complex in Shenzhen, Tiongkok, few Americans had got word of the company. But most know the items it makes: computers pertaining to Dell and HP, Nokia Oyj mobile devices, Microsoft Xbox 360 video games consoles, Intel motherboards, and a great number of other familiar gadgets. A number of 250, 000 Foxconn personnel in southern China generate Apple's products. Apple, on the other hand, has about 25, 000 employees inside U. S. -- this means for every Apple worker with the U. S. there are 10 people in China implementing iMacs, iPods and i-phones. The same roughly 10-to-1 connection holds for Dell, disk-drive manufacturer Seagate Technology, and several other U. S. tech firms.
You could say, numerous do, that shipping jobs overseas isn't big deal because the actual high-value work -- and far of the profits -- stop in the U. S. That is probably so. But what type a society are we visiting have if it contains highly paid people working on high-value-added work -- and masses of unemployed?
Since early days of Silicon Area, the money invested throughout companies has increased significantly, only to produce a lesser number of jobs. Simply put, your U. S. has pick up wildly inefficient at developing American tech jobs. Organic beef be less aware about this growing inefficiency, however, because our history of creating jobs in the last few decades has already been spectacular -- masking the greater and greater spending to set-up each position.
Tragic Oversight
Should we wait and not act based on early indicators? I think that might be a tragic mistake because only chance we will need to reverse the deterioration is actually if we act ahead of time and decisively.
Already the decline have been marked. It may be measured using a simple calculation: an estimate in the employment cost- effectiveness of an company. First, take your initial investment plus the investment on top of a company's IPO. Then divide that by the quantity of employees working in that company few years later. For Intel, this resolved to be about $650 each job -- $3, 800 adjusted for inflation. Country wide Semiconductor Corp., another chips company, was even more effective at $2, 000 for every job.
Making the same calculations for several Silicon Valley companies shows that the price tag on creating U. S. jobs grew coming from a few thousand dollars per position inside early years to $100, 000 right now. The obvious reason: Companies simply hire much less employees as more work is conducted by outside contractors, normally in Asia.
Alternative Electricity
The job-machine breakdown isn't only in computers. Consider substitute energy, an emerging industry where there exists plenty of innovation. Photovoltaics, by way of example, are a U. Ersus. invention. Their use in home-energy purposes was also pioneered with the U. S.
Last 365 days, I decided to conduct my bit for energy conservation and set out to equip my house with solar powered energy. My wife and My spouse and i talked with four nearby solar firms. As component to our due diligence, I checked where they acquire photovoltaic panels -- the key area of the system. All the panels they use are derived from China. A Silicon Valley company sells equipment employed to manufacture photo-active films. They ship all-around 10 times more products to China than to manufacturers inside U. S., and this gap is growing. Not surprisingly, U. Ersus. employment in the generating of photovoltaic films and panels could very well be 10, 000 -- a few percent of estimated throughout the world employment. <! --INFOLINKS_OFF-->.
Back to top Go down
https://vgp-bps13-s.forumotion.com

Alternative Energy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VGP-BPS13-S :: Your first category :: Your first forum-
Jump to: